Plastic Cores for Paper, Film and Foil
CPV can offer a robust and long-lasting polymer alternative to the cardboard cores that are used when manufacturing and processing paper, fim and foil products. Having been developed and rigorously tested in use at numerous paper mills over a number of decades, these plastic cores have proven themselves to save significant sums of money when compared to the traditional cardboard alternatives.
In the early 1990s, CPV was engaged by a UK paper manufacturing plant in order to develop and trial a high-modulus polypropylene paper core to replace the traditional cardboard versions being used. Being able to cope with many more rotations than their cardboard counterparts, polymer cores have annually delivered substantial six-figure financial savings.
The initial trial, which utilised ten polymer cores for three different sized machines, proved highly successful and led to a full roll-out at the mill, seeing the cardboard cores being fully replaced. Some 25 years later, the site continues to use the new polymer cores – coloured to identify their age – with some that have been in service for 20 years.
The success of this trial has subsequently led to CPV supplying in excess of 15,000 polymers cores throughout the UK and Europe. With more and more paper mill sites reaping the benefits and transferring their production from cardboard to polymer cores.
Why Use Plastic Cores?
- High-modulus polypropylene is a durable material and provides many more rotations than cardboard lasting over 20 years
- Significant financial saving when comparing life-cycle costs to cardboard alternatives
- Can be stored outside in all weathers unlike cardboard, which delaminates
- Will not delaminate if damaged by knives
- Less susceptible to damage in transit
- End damage not so critical
- Significantly lower carbon footprint from polymer cores compared to cardboard alternatives
- Can be self-coloured to aid identification
Find Out More
To discuss how CPV can help you save money by replacing your cardboard cores, please Contact Us